In 1484 two Dominican friars, Heinrich Kraemer and Johann Sprenger, induced Pope Innocent VIII to issue a bull authorizing them to extirpate witchcraft in Germany; and two years later these two mean published the Malleus Maleficarum (The Witches’ Hammer), a work that became the authoritative encyclopaedia of demonology throughout Christendom. It was a [...]
Archive | September, 2008
Malleus Maleficarm – detailed legal and theological document (c. 1486) regarded as the standard handbook on witchcraft, including its detection and its extirpation, until well into the 18th century. Its appearance did much to spur on and sustain some two centuries of witch-hunting hysteria in Europe. The Malleus was the work of two [...]
Hello, all. I thought I’d mention that the introduction to the online edition of the Malleus Maleficarum has been updated. We’ve been trying to craft an introduction that is true to the history of the work, while specifically addressing some of the long-standing misconceptions about the work. Included below is the full text. [...]
- Witch Hunts In Papua New Guinea Linked To Jealousy June 11, 2013
- World Condemns Murders As Papua New Guinea Seeks Answers May 16, 2013
- Glem Book and Driftmeyer May 13, 2013
- Malleus Maleficarum Joins Twitter April 8, 2013
- Rare 1582 Malleus Maleficarum – Frankfurt Printing April 6, 2013
- General Comments July 9, 2008
- Downloads June 30, 2008
- Do Christians Know About Malleus Maleficarum? About Inquisition? September 24, 2011
- Nyamizi, Accused Witch, Has Hand Chopped Off October 2, 2012
- Web Site Hacks March 8, 2009
- Lynn: Hi and thank you for sharing this book. I have jus...
- Danilo V.Donor: Hope that Tinctor's Manual be available to public...
- Portia: Nothing in the media though of the secret witch tr...
- A Teacher on Teaching: I am in fact grateful to the holder of this web si...
- Hingle McCringleberry: That still may have been too loud for the cat - Th...