A Zimbabwean woman was wrongly accused of killing a young boy and lynched by an angry mob in a shanty town near the South African capital, Pretoria. The woman was burnt alive while another man, also from Zimbabwe, managed to escape after police officers intervened.
Archive | Witch Hunts In The News RSS feed for this section
People with albinism lack pigment in their skin and appear pale. In Tanzania, this condition makes them targets. They are killed “like animals” and their body parts are used in potions believed to bring wealth and luck.
A Paraguayan woman, Adolfina Ocampos, 45, was lynched by members of an indigenous community in Paraguay this week. Officers said the woman was accused of witchcraft and was taken to a river and submerged under water. The mob then tied her to a pole and carried her to another site where they prepared a grave, […]
An excellent article by Dana MacLean on Papua New Guinea’s witch-hunts was published on October 21, 2014 in the Asia-Pacific current-affairs magazine, The Diplomat. It is a great read for anyone concerned with modern witch hunts and the plight of the accused in foreign countries.
A Kenyan governor, John Mruttu, has banned foreign witch doctors from operating in Taita Taveta County, authorities have said. Mruttu has also warned that locals who will be found harbouring them will be arrested and prosecuted.
A married woman from Piplod area of Surat, India, was accused of witchcraft and forced to leave her husband’s home. The husband and his in-laws also pressured the woman for a divorce. The wife was sent to her parent’s home in Mahuva of Surat district in May 2014. The husband attempted to have divorce papers […]
In the “you can’t make this up” category, a young woman was rescued from a gutter around Abalti Barracks in Lagos, Nigeria on Friday morning, and accused of being a witch for being in the gutter.
A 70 year old man was attacked and his body set ablaze by residents of Kiambere in Mbeere South on suspicion that he was practicing witchcraft.
A seventy-two-year-old man, Muchinga Kabali, was killed in Kabende Village in Chief Kasoma Bangweulu in Samfya, Zambia. Mr. Kabali was killed and buried by a mob that suspected him of practising witchcraft.
A woman was killed in India on suspicion of being a ‘tonhi’ – a woman involved in witchcraft practices – in Uparwara village of Naya Raipur on Wednesday. Local police arrested four people, all who were the woman’s immediate relatives.
FROM OUR TWITTER FEED
- Zimbabwean Woman Burnt Alive in South Africa March 23, 2015
- Albinos in Tanzania Killed “Like Animals” So Their Body Parts Can Be Used In Witchcraft December 16, 2014
- 1535 Edition of the Malleus Maleficarum For Sale December 3, 2014
- General Comments July 9, 2008
- Do Christians Know About Malleus Maleficarum? About Inquisition? September 24, 2011
- Nyamizi, Accused Witch, Has Hand Chopped Off October 2, 2012
- Orelia Manjani: I am looking for the rare book of witchcraft...
- EddCast 06: Blood Moon 2015: Total Eclipse of the Supermoon | Stephanie Edd: […] On Lunatics, Part I Question V, Malleus ...
- Creature Feature: Succubi, Incubi and Their Lusty Cousins | Elle McKay: […] with most demons, however, exorcism was ...
NEWSLETTER / UPDATES
Send us your e-mail address to receive our handy newsletter and updates.